During the summer, your biggest care should be about cooking enough food for your barbecue, and not how to deal with high utility bills, a rotted deck, or a busted appliance. Preventing problems before they happen is the key to summer home maintenance in Tampa. When you inspect and fix small issues, you can avoid larger, more expensive problems down the line. Here’s 3 home maintenance tips for summer that help you stay on top of your house’s maintenance before big problems happen.
1. Increase Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
Summer is the perfect time in Tampa to work on your home’s energy efficiency so that you can keep your home cool and your utility bills low. Start by inspecting your windows and doors for leaks that let air through. Put weatherstripping on doors or replace cracked weatherstripping if you feel air leaking through. Inspect your windows’ caulking for any cracks or missing pieces and replace the cracked sections.
Using energy efficient window treatments like plantation shutters can help you lower your energy bill - and perhaps even qualify for a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters reduce air transfer through your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than normal wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which are found in many homes.
2. Enhance Your Porches And Patios
If you want to entertain on your patio or porch this summer, make sure it’s prepared for your guests. First, check your patio or deck for safety. Look around to see if there are any supports, boards, or stairs that need replacing because they’re broken and can’t bear weight. Then stain or seal your patio and deck to make it look like new again and shield it from the bright summer sun and rain.
Once you’ve replaced or repaired any broken boards and areas and stained your patio, it’s time to make it shine. Make your windows and doors next to your porch and patio more beautiful by adding window treatments such as sidelight shutters or plantation shutters for your french door or sliding doors. Then bring in your favorite patio furniture or a fire pit. Landscape the area around your porch or patio to make it more colorful.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that break down can put a stop to your summer plans. Here’s a few things to watch out for with your major appliances to keep them humming along:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils make your fridge work harder than it needs to and increase your electric bill. It’s easy to vacuum them out. Begin by unplugging your refrigerator and then use your vacuum’s crevice tool (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to vacuum out and unclog the coils.
● Dishwasher. Check your dishwasher for any lines that are leaking or backed up water. Then deep clean and deodorize it by running a cycle with a cup of vinegar. Finally, empty and clean the filter (located under the spray arms in most dishwashers) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Inspect your washing machine hoses for any cracks, leaks, or bulges. Replace the hoses if needed. Once a year, you should clean your dryer hose and exterior vent or hire a professional to do the job.
Enjoy Your Summer
By maintaining your home and appliances, you can enjoy a carefree summer. If you’re interested in giving your home a beautiful look this season with window treatments for your patios, dining rooms, or living rooms, check out our idea gallery and then call us for a free in-home consultation at 813-580-7288. We’ll show you samples of all your window treatment options in Tampa and do all the work and installation so you can sit back and enjoy your summer.